16 January 2012

DIY Strip Lights

I've wanted strip lights for a while now, but the dang things are expensive, so I started in on a build to rig up a couple.


Here's what I used:
  • (2) 54" pieces of 4" PVC
  • (2) 4" PVC Caps
  • (2) 2" L-brackets
  • (2) 4" L-brackets
  • (4) Self-closing overlay hinges
  • (2) 1/4"x20 wingnuts
  • (1) 2' x 4' sheet of hardboard (clip board material) cut into 3" strips
  • (8) 1/8" aluminum rivets with a 1/4" grab
  • (16) Total feet of drop-ceiling L-channel
  • Some wood
  • Some screws
  • Some nuts, bolts, and washers

This is what they look like all done and whatnot:

StripLights-20120128-1

Painted the insides gloss white, and the outsides and barndoors flat black.

Popped the flash:

StripLights-20120128-2

Some burn at the bottom, but it's much more even than my first test shots. I have some small convex mirrors on order that I'm going to mount in the cap to try to even things out a bit.

This is a shot with the barndoors partially closed:

StripLights-20120128-4

And, finally, a shot with the door closed completely:

StripLights-20120128-3

Yes, the flash did fire - I'm pleased to see I have very little light leaking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment