05 May 2011

POTD 125 of 365

Ho boy. So, I got a damn fine deal on a new piece of equipment. I've been lusting after looking at this lens for a while. I had considered the Non-IS version (to save a few hundred dollars), but, shooting at f/2.8 the other night indoors with the 17-55 proved that I needed the IS, even at high ISOs.

Version II of this lens was just released, so, the price did drop on the Mark I lenses. When one popped up on one of the sites I frequent, at a good price, and with IS, I told my wallet to look the other way and did it.

125_of_365

Yup.

EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS, Mark I

You want speed? It's got it.

You want reach? It's got it.

You want weight? It's got it.

You want bokeh? It's got it.

125_of_365_SETUP2

But since it's not about the gear (right?) let's talk about the shot.

125_of_365_SETUP1

I used a trick I've used in the past to light this.

There's a pane of glass suspended between the stools. On top of the glass is a piece of white posterboard.

Below this setup is the 580EX II at 1/8, through the LTP.

The two 430EZs, set to 1/16, are blowing out the background.

The 160WS Strobe, at a little over 1/8, and through the big softbox provides key on the shot.

Shot at f/8 for detail and the most in-focus areas I could get.

No comments:

Post a Comment