11 March 2011

POTD 70 of 365

Yesterday's POTD hit the blog at around 01:30, because I was awake, checking the swales, drains, and various other water handling devices that are oh-so-vital to keeping a home built at the bottom of a bowl dry.

This is what the receding waters looked like this morning at around 08:00:

070_of_365

For a little backstory, The Missus and I have spent many, many sleepless nights when it rained. In 2006, we ended up with 8-10 inches of water in the house, all of it runoff. To fix it, over two years, I installed three trench drains, widened and built-up behind my swale, installed retaining walls, and peppered the basement with water alarms.

Complicating the water issue is the fact that we've got a pond uphill from us that flows down through the neighbor's yard, and then passes under our street right next to our driveway. When the pond fills up, the stream overwhelms its banks, crosses the road, and ends up in my swale.

What's frustrating, though, is every time I fix something, the equation changes. Over-building in my development has reduced greenspace and runoff collection areas well beneath a bare minimum requirement. People who wouldn't be qualified to own a Lego playset are tasked with approving building plans that should be scrutinized by a civil engineer, and bad decisions are made. Lazy residents who couldn't be bothered to keep their yards and swales cleared of debris make a wretched situation a recipe for disaster, and disaster struck (again) last night.

*Deep breath*

OK - I'm through ranting. There's my picture. I had a bunch more that showed a sample of the devastation, but, they were full of purple-fringing, and looked terrible. This morning's sky was pure white, and, even stopped down to f/9, I couldn't get the lens to stop producing CA, and, I really didn't feel like cleaning it up in Photoshop tonight. I'm beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment