11 April 2011

POTD 101 of 365

I've been shooting a homemade test grid tonight on the Yashica. The more I shoot and measure, the more I believe that the focus may be off on this particular camera.

I've burnt the first half of the roll by focusing the camera through the viewfinder. I'm going to shoot the second half by measuring the distance from the film to the focus target and setting the focus distance on the lens accordingly.

We'll see where it goes, and you'll be right along with me as we get there.

Edit - no results tonight, because I forget to mix some developer yesterday, so, the new batch is mixed, but it's currently cooling down. Perhaps tomorrow.

So, the results are in, and they're not good.

I shot these two on a steady tripod, using the self-timer, under about as ideal conditions as my setup allows, and those conditions are relatively ideal.

This is one of the shots focused through the viewfinder:

101-2_of_365

Terrible, no? Blurry, out of focus, it's all bad.

This is a shot focused using the distance scale and a tape measure. Understand that this is somewhat non-scientific, as I was guesstimating the distance to the film in the camera. At the wider apertures I was shooting, an eight of an inch in either direction would certainly impact my focus. That said, it's not a perfect shot, and I don't mind admitting to being a little out of my league here when it comes to determining if the rangefinder is off, or, if the whole lens is pooched, too.

101-1_of_365

I've got a second one coming in the mail soon. I'll test that one, and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment