05 April 2011

POTD 95 of 365

This is one of my new toys.

095_of_365

I've been looking at rangefinders because they're a little lighter, a little simpler, and they're something I have absolutely no experience with.

I researched them a bit. The crème de la crème of rangefinder cameras, Leica, is just a teensy bit out of my price range. The Yashica Electro35 GSN shown here is generally well-regarded, has good optics, and, most important, is cheap. I snagged two of them on eBay for well under $100, including shipping from two sellers.

Oddly enough, the GTN model, while functionally identical, goes for a ton more, because it's all-black and more "collectible". As Nero Wolfe would say, "Pfui". I use my damn gear, and regard anyone who collects the stuff just to have it as a step off.

I've already put a roll of Tri-X through the camera, and exposure and metering are great, but my focus is sorely lacking. I'm not going to blame the equipment yet, because I haven't shot it in a controlled environment, nor have I shot it with my contacts in (the RF diamond is a bit hard to see with glasses).

If I can resolve my focusing issues, this thing is going to be a joy to shoot. It's light, and quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment