15 April 2011

POTD 105 of 365

Behind "The Standing Fire" lies the remains of an old house. The house is by no means ancient, but, it is abandoned, and looks pretty interesting:

105_of_365

Today, I took a short trip through the woods to check it out.

The house is in pretty rough shape, and smells of home heating oil. There's also a ton of debris visible without going into the house:

Dorrance_House_07 Dorrance_House_08

Dorrance_House_09

However, I wasn't really content to just stand at the door and peer inside, so, I let myself in:

Dorrance_House_10 Dorrance_House_11

The inside is really bad - there's a gaping hole in the floor, and the structure isn't exactly what you'd call "sound":

Dorrance_House_13

Now, I weigh an eighth of a ton, and was alone, so I didn't want to risk going through the floor, but, I shot what I safely could:

Dorrance_House_14 Dorrance_House_16

Dorrance_House_20 Dorrance_House_19

I'd like to go back with a second person, a length of rope, and a good flashlight.

If you're interested, there's a total of 28 photos of this short trek here on my Flickr set.

2 comments:

  1. That would have been a neat house when it was sound. It is sad when these treasures end up this way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Houses like this are infinitely interesting. I always want to know why? Why did the stairs fall off the wall? Why was it abandoned? It looks like it was once a lovely house with all of that beautiful rock work - Why wasn't it cared for?

    Kristin - The Goat
    from the Bloggers photo a day project

    ReplyDelete