13 April 2011

POTD 103 of 365

I got a few softboxes today. One is the Lumiquest LTP, and it's designed to mount to a hot shoe flash. The other is a Flashpoint 20" x 28" for mounting on a bigger strobe.

With these two in my lighting arsenal, I'm now setup to do justice to head-n-shoulders type of portraits. I'm especially interested in headshots, and will be offering free headshots to anyone interested in the very near future.

Tonight's shot should have been The Missus, however, I wasn't terribly happy with the reflection on her glasses, which is something I need to fix. I suspect you'll be seeing Poomba wearing glasses in the not-too-distant future...

In any event, here's tonight's headshot:

103_of_365

Yep - Poomba. I used him to nail down the lighting ratios.

Setup looks like this:

103_of_365_SETUP

I dialed down the ambient by shooting at 1/200. That pretty much rendered a black frame.

I added the fill light on camera-right by setting the 580EX II to 1/128 and firing through the LTP.

Key was the 160WS at a little over 1/8, through the big softbox.

Finally, accent was one of the 430EZs (behind the stool) through a lime green gel onto the backdrop. All of them triggered with the Cactii.

That's some pig!

No comments:

Post a Comment