27 February 2011

POTD 58 of 365

Had a portrait session with a great family this evening, and the edits are in progress.

This is one of my favorites:

058_of_365

I've recreated the setup with Poomba. I spent quite a few hours in the past week trying to nail this one down, and this is how I got it done.

058_of_365_SETUP

The flash is set low, at 1/64, and the softbox helps angle the light upward a bit. We're not getting much spill onto the mirror itself at all.

I'm shooting wide open, at f/2.8, to avoid having to bump up the flash power. Stopping the lens down would have helped me control the ambient light in the room, at the cost of having to make up the light with increased flash output, but, I'm sure the parents didn't want their child to leave with a suntan.

Shutter is at 1/125, which is good, because 3-month-olds can manage an amazing amount of traction on a mirror, and he was moving.

What really makes this shot possible is the angle. For this one, I was completely prone on the ground, with my lens only slightly above ground level. The two errant spots on the mirror in the SOOC shot were easily fixed by burning them in Photoshop.

The family was great to work with, and we got some excellent shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment