12 January 2011

POTD 12 of 365

Ah, specular highlights, how do we love thee? Let me count the ways...

Oh, right, we don't. Most days.

I grabbed one my old trumpets this evening, figuring it would be a good subject. It's got nice lines, graceful curves, and repeating elements. It's also shiny, which is great great for practicing highlight control.

012_of_365

I did not, however, take into account my meager cleaning abilities, and what should have looked satiny-smooth just looks mottled, thanks to the dust and fingerprints all over the horn.

Pity.

In any event, here's a setup shot:

012_of_365_SETUP

Pretty simple this evening - the 580EX II in Wireless TTL Mode with a Strobies Softbox on the front.

So, that's twelve. I'll probably revisit this one again once I've had the time to really clean up the horn, and I'll tighten up the composition - I got it where I wanted it, but, apparently I didn't want the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment