21 January 2011

POTD 21 of 365

There are six and a half billion people on this planet, and the vast majority of them are probably better photographers than I am. One, in particular, however, inspired me recently with a shot of hers - it was a macro of a cupcake, and I had to restrain myself from licking the monitor when I saw it.

Since I'm not sure if macro is going to be a "thing" for me or not, I decided to get into the game cheaply, and pick up a reversing ring. I have the kit lens from my Rebel sitting around, so I got it with a 58mm filter size to match the lens.

This is the first shot:

021_of_365

What you're looking at is an inkjet printout on plain white copy paper. The font, if you're wondering, is 10pt Consolas.

The DoF on this rig is ridiculously short - but there is a workaround to stopping down the lens that I have to try.

Setup was very basic for this - I angled the worklight across the paper to try to "skim" the light across, which I felt would bring out the paper's texture.

The setup shot is here - note how close the camera had to be to the paper before I could get it in focus. What you probably can't see in the setup shot is that the paper is rotated 180 degrees to get the red text closer to the lens.

021_of_365_SETUP

I'm still not sure how much of this I'll do, but, you can count on at least a few more macro shots as part of this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment