09 January 2011

POTD 9 of 365

Day nine, and I'm trying a new (to me) technique.

I've lit stuff from above, from the sides, and head-on, but I've never tried to light something from below.

009_of_365

I've got a pane of glass suspended between two stools. On top of the glass is a piece of white poster board.

Below the stools is a small spot light with a daylight-balanced fluorescent flood bulb in it. For this shot, it doesn't matter that it's daylight balanced, as it's the sole light source, but, if I have to mix in a strobe or two, the colors are very close, so it's easier to white-balance. For that reason, it's also my work light when I'm doing any studio work.

The flood is pointed up through the pane of glass, and into the snifter and bottle of scotch.

I've got two black foamies behind the stools, acting as GoBos to keep light from spilling onto the backdrop.

009_of_365_SETUP

I metered on the label, which overexposed the "table" and the highlights in the snifter, so I dropped the exposure by speeding up my shutter a stop.

Since that's done, it's time to relax with a small glass of this evening's subject.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment