05 January 2011

POTD 5 of 365

The Shell Game

I'm not happy with this one, but, I'm going with it anyway because this is my first attempt at such a shot, and the hour groweth late. I did take a few "safe" shots this evening that are perfectly presentable, but, I'd rather get this one up as a reminder of what not to do.

005_of_365

This is how it was done:

I started with a dark studio, one cup, and a Tic Tac. There's a 160WS strobe to the cup's immediate right, and a white bounce card to the cup's immediate left. The Tic Tac is under the cup, and the cup is the rightmost position on the tile.

Start the 13-second exposure, scrunch my eyes shut, and pop the flash remotely.

Move the cup to the middle, exposing the Tic Tac, scrunch, pop.

Move the cup to the left, scrunch, pop.

Pull the cup off the tile and wait out the rest of the exposure.

Setup shot:

005_of_365_SETUP

Obviously, I'd like to get a better exposure on the cups, without overexposing either the Tic Tac or the tile. I believe that's possible if I use a barndoor to restrict the light.

For tonight, I'll take it, and will hopefully learn from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment