22 January 2011

POTD 22 of 365

More macro! Tonight, I tried the workaround for stopping down the lens, and it worked like a champ, although, another thumb would make the job easier.

What I've read says set your aperture in Aperture-Priority or Manual mode, hit the DoF Preview Button, hold it down, and disconnect the lens. Worked as described - I've got the lens stopped down to f/20, which is well past the "sweet spot" on this particular lens, but sharpness doesn't seemed to have suffered much. Perhaps my next attempt will bring it down to f/32 or so.

So, without further blather, tonight's shot:

022_of_365

Lighting was the worklight to camera-left, and a cheap LED flashlight to camera-right, for highlights and a touch of color.

022_of_365_SETUP

The bolts are held together with a twist tie on the bottom, and I rotated the image 90 degrees left from where it was in-camera.

Edit 24-Jan-11: I just crunched a few numbers on this shot, and realized that what you're looking at encompasses about 8mm x 12mm worth of bolt. The APS-C sensor on the 60D is approximately 15mm x 22mm, which means that a simple $10 reversing ring and (arguably) the worst lens Canon produces (18-55 f/3.5-5.6, Mark I) are capable of delivering 2:1 image magnification. Not too shabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment