16 January 2011

POTD 16 of 365

Ah, absinthe - the drink that fans have been using to explain artists' alternating genius and stupidity since the 17th century.

I'm not a fan of the anise flavor, nor do I put any stock in the so-called hallucinogenic effects of absinthe (to be sold in the US, absinthe must be Thujone-free), but, I will not deny the mystique that surrounds the Green Fairy.

It also makes an interesting subject:

016_of_365

Light is provided by two flashes, triggered by the cheapies.

Key on the goblet is the 580EX II at 1/128, snooted, and aimed directly down.

Key on the bottle is the 430EZ at 1/32 (its lowest setting), turned vertical, and aimed from the backdrop out. I adjusted the height until I got the two light spots on the surface to merge cleanly.

Setup shot:

016_of_365_SETUP

Note that what's in goblet is NOT absinthe - simply water with some food coloring. Also note that if you were to try to consume that much absinthe in one sitting, you may very well begin to hallucinate, because the drink is potent. So much so that's it's normally diluted 4 parts water to one part absinthe.

On the chance that there's an absinthe fan reading this, yes, I know, I'm missing a a pitcher of ice water. I thought about it, but it would have cluttered the composition.

No comments:

Post a Comment