13 January 2011

POTD 13 of 365

I had some high hopes for this shot, and, I still think it's salvageable.

013_of_365

Two flashes and work light provide the lighting.

Key light is the 580EX II at 1/8 with a Strobies Honeycomb, under and to the right of the helmet, angled up (to keep light off the surface).

A teeny bit of fill is provided by a daylight-balanced CFL spotlight, pointed at the left side of the helmet.

The effects light is a 430EZ at full power, with an orange gel, inside the helmet.

Setup shot:

013_of_365_SETUP

So, what do I need to do better?

Thought I cleaned the helmet - apparently not.

I'll try this with the visor open.

Softer light on the front of the helmet, and I need to do...something...about the light inside the helmet. That especially needs to be much more diffused.

And, I need to go into this shoot with a fully-charged battery in the camera, so I get more than 3 whacks at this before having to wrap it up. I barely made the setup shot tonight.

I suspect I'll be posting another copy of this one tomorrow, because this has the potential to be really cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment